We had turkey last night just for fun. It was an easy dinner and there are lots of leftovers. So I made soup. What is better on a cold wintery day than soup? I made this up using ingredients most of us already have on hand.
- leftover turkey 2-4 cups, chopped or shredded
- 6 cups of water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used seasoning salt)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup uncooked noodles
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 cup of leftover turkey gravy
Prep time 30 mins. Cook time 2-3 hours
- Place the turkey in a pot; add the water, onion, garlic, salt and bay leaves. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove any bones and skin and skim off fat. Add the carrots, noodles, celery and chopped onion and gravy; cover and simmer until noodles and vegetables are tender.
- Feeds 8-10 2 cup servings .
I have mine simmering on the stove so the kids and hubs can grab a bowl when they get home. If you want to thicken the gravy you can add some flour and whisk while boiling for 5 minutes.
The perfect comfort food. Eat on its own or with crackers of bread.